Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Shrimp Chowder by Erin&Sis

Just adding...

My sister and I made delicious (spicy) shrimp chowder 2 days ago! We used 2lbs of shrimp and used a lot of ingredients off of Ina Garten's Shrimp Bisque recipe here (we doubled it too):

Ingredients

* 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined, shells reserved
* 4 cups seafood stock
* 3 tablespoons good olive oil (I hate when she says "good")
* 2 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts (We used carrots celery and onions instead, yum)
* 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (3 cloves)
* Pinch cayenne pepper
* 1/4 cup Cognac or brandy (didn't use this didn't matter)
* 1/4 cup dry sherry
* 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 2 cups half-and-half
* 1/3 cup tomato paste
* 2 teaspoons kosher salt
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper



I added some extra spice (curry/cayenne), a bag of shrimp seasoning that you take out after 8 minutes, and some coconut milk (which was SUCH A GOOD ADDITION). I made homemade seafood stock too, which is simply by just putting the shells in the broth.

My dad and mom said it was a little to spicy, BUT I tried it again today and the flavors tasted so good together! I am a spice freak!!!

No comments: